#IdleNoMore ACTION FEBRUARY 13TH against push for constitutional recognition…
- BRISBANE: rally at QLD State Parliament at 10am
- CANBERRA: rally outside Federal Parliament House 8:30am-12 noon
On February 13, Australia’s Federal Parliament will vote on the ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Recognition Bill 2012’. This legislation is tokenistic, provides the original sovereign tribes of this continent with NO BENEFITS and is simply an attempt by the Commonwealth Government of Australia (and their corporate backers) to put off the real issues at hand – SOVEREIGNTY & TREATY.
Listed below is what the Act of Recognition will do:
1) The Parliament, on behalf of the people of Australia, recognises that the continent and the islands now known as Australia were first occupied by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
2) The Parliament, on behalf of the people of Australia, acknowledges the continuing relationship of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with their traditional lands and waters.
3) The Parliament, on behalf of the people of Australia, acknowledges and respects the continuing cultures, languages and heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Although this may sound good, none of the above enactments provide any legal basis for our claim to SOVEREIGNTY, land rights, water rights, protection of our languages or cultural heritage. This ‘Act of Recognition’ is just like Kevin Rudd’s apology – words without change....
see full post